Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake


I am very excited to be a part of Sara's 2009 Recipe Challenge. I made myself a goal last summer to make one new recipe every week and was sorely lacking in my efforts. In my defense, I was pregnant and hot! I am now back to work and have an almost 5-month old so am very exhausted. My recipes may not come every week but I'll try my best.

I'm all about the good but easy dinners. Many come from a magazine called Simple and Delicious. My first effort is a casserole that makes 2 - one to eat and the other to freeze, which I think is a brilliant way to plan for a future meal. Sadly, I only had enough chicken to make one so I had to 1/2 the rest of it. Next time I'll plan better.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Bake

Ingredients
2 pkg. (6 oz. each) reduced-sodium stuffing mix
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 cup milk
8 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/2 t. pepper
3/4 lb. sliced deli ham, cut into 1-inch strips
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine soup and milk and set aside.

2. Divide chicken between two greased 13X9 in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with pepper. Layer with ham, Swiss cheese, 1 cup cheedar cheese, soup mixture and stuffing. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.

3. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350 for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 mintues before baking. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover, bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.

2 Casseroles - 6 servings each

The results...
Very good! I made this when Winston's brother, Tony, was visiting and they inhaled it pretty quickly. It's nothing fancy but makes for a great, easy weeknight dinner and was mighty tasty. It was also good the next day if you are a "leftovers" person (not everyone is!).

What I changed...
When I halved the recipe, I put in more than 1/2 cup of milk. It didn't seem like quite enough and I was worried about it being too dry. I was glad I did so I'm sure I'll add more than 1 cup when I make it for 2 next time. I also didn't measure out the ham, I just sprinkled on until it covered the chicken and looked good.

1 comment: